1901 - present
Reforms to the Army in the early 1900s resulted in the expansion of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). In 1908, the Territorial Force was created from battalions of the Volunteer Force. It was at this time that four battalions of the Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers and a battalion of the Royal Lanark Militia became part of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). The 5th Battalion tunic seen on the right echoes the uniform worn by the 1st Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers who became the 5th Battalion, The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).
From 1914 to 1918, twenty seven battalions of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) served in the First World War. The Regiment was heavily involved on the Western Front, in Gallipoli and the Middle East, and in Salonika. During the war, more than 7,000 of its men lost their lives, and an estimated 11,000 men were injured. war
After the war, operational service followed in China, Egypt, India, Iraq and Palestine. During this period overseas, soldiers had more time to participate in sport. The trophy on the right is one of many awarded to Sgt. Dick Wallis in the 1920s and 1930s.
When the Second World War broke out in 1939, The Cameronians mobilised six active battalions.
The 1st Battalion was stationed in India, training Indian soldiers and providing internal security. Their position became important in defending Burma from Japanese occupation between 1942 and 1944.
The 2nd Battalion was sent to France where they were involved in heavy fighting at Dunkirk, until evacuated in June 1940. In 1943, the 2nd took part in the assault on Sicily, the first step in the invasion of Italy. Later, they were sent to Germany, joining soldiers of the 6th, 7th and 9th Battalions, who had been serving in North-West Europe since 1944.
After the Second World War, the British Army suffered extensive cuts. In 1948, The Cameronians were reduced to a single, regular battalion.
Between 1950 and 1953, The Cameronians were sent to Malaya to protect its people from terrorist attacks. The cap seen on the right was taken from a communist bandit during operations in Malaya.
Overseas service in Bahrain, Oman, Kenya, Jordan and Germany followed and in 1966, the 1st Battalion was sent to Aden to provide internal security. The Aden tour of duty was extremely successful, and The Cameronians were praised for their exemplary conduct and diligence.
Despite their success in Aden it was announced, on the 18 July 1967, that the 1st Battalion, The Cameronians would fall victim to army cuts.
An official disbandment ceremony took place on 14 May 1968 at Douglasdale, Lanarkshire. The date and location were significant, marking the anniversary of the raising of the Regiment in Douglas in 1689.